Thursday, February 19, 2009

Uploading Your Etsy RSS Feed Into Google Base

Most Etsians don't understand the importance of uploading their RSS feed into Google Base. Two Seaside Babes receives 11% of traffic through Google alone! That is a great deal of traffic that I direct to my store by uploading my RSS feed into Google Base...and it only takes 5 minutes!

Don't understand what a RSS feed is? Simply put, RSS is a method of distributing links or syndicating content in your web site that you'd like others to use. By uploading this information into Google Base, your store information is easily searchable to all on Google. Don't worry...you don't have to be computer savvy to figure this out. It took me perhaps a dozen times to get it right. Here is a short tutorial to help you out. Click on any picture for a larger view of exactly what to do:

First, using Let's Ets, download your RSS feed. Simply type in your store name. Click whether you want your new, used, or both items to show up in your feed, and click "Fetch My Items".


Next, scroll to the bottom (under all your product pictures) and hit the "Download Bulk File" button. Save this file to your computer. MOST IMPORTANT! Save your filename with .xml at the end! If you do not do this, your feed will most likely not upload properly into Google Base! This is the sole reason why it took me a dozen times to get it right!


Now, your file should be saved to your computer. Go to
Google Base and either register or sign in.


Once you have signed into Google Base, click on "Data Feeds". On the Data Feeds page, click on "New Data Feed".

From this point, you will start uploading your RSS feed into Google Base. Select the country where you want your items shown. United States is automatically the default. Next, select the type of item in your data feed...typically it is Products. Then, select the type of data feed your are registering. Googlebase will be the default. Lastly, type in the name of the file that you are uploading into the "Data Feed Filename" box. Click "Register Data Feed".

Your RSS feed has not been uploaded yet. On this data feed page, you need to click on "Upload File" next to the feed that you are trying to upload. This can be found under Manual.

Next, what you will need to do is browse for the file on your computer and hit the "Upload and Process This File" button.

If you did this correctly, your feed should have the word "Processing" under the date. Eventually, this will read "Success" in green. Now your RSS feed has been uploaded into Google Base!

It can take up to 24 hours for your items to be published and searchable in Google Base. When they are, this is what your feed will look like:

This may seem like an extremely daunting task. But it's really not. It takes only a matter of moments and you get 1 months worth of possible traffic to your store because of it. The more items you have, the more you should upload your RSS feed. Two Seaside Babes has almost 200 items in the store, so I upload every week or two.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need further help!

7 comments:

Robin@creations-anew.com said...

Thanks Seas..I had forgotten to upload...Your tutorial is so much easier to understand than the one I was using.
Robin

terryann said...

thanks for doing this, I am going to link here, I am always telling people how... now it is all written down just perfectly.

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

Very well written! I can't believe what a difference Google Base has made in my business! This is something that should not be put off! The way you have written your post should help a lot of people!
Thank you!
Michelle-

Sandy said...

I've tried this before and never got it right. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

crochele said...

I had never heard of GoogleBase before and I'm SOOOOO glad I read your blog. I completed the tutorial and got my Etsy items all loaded...I will come back and tell you how it goes! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this :)

UniquePaperBoutique said...

Thank you for your clear explanation! Woohoo!

Rachel

prishajewels said...

I have tried it, but it keeps saying failed. Driving me a bit insane now!!